Monday, April 15, 2013

Human Nature

A couple of weeks ago I finished a commission piece for a friend of mine. Nick came to me months ago and asked me to paint something for him. Of course, I said yes, but I had no idea what to do. Nothing. I was slowly slipping into a deeper depression at the time, and struggling for clarity and creativity. Finally in a moment of sunshine and lollipops an idea hit me, and I began working on it. 

I wanted to do a piece specifically for Nick. I wanted to capture some of the glory that he exudes. Nick is a fantastic guy. He's funny, he's friendly, and very protective of those that he loves. Like a fierce lion of sorts. He is also very disciplined physically. He has his black belt, and is looking to impart his skills and knowledge to eager students. Nick is young and brash, and I believe still searching for exactly what he wants in life just like a lot of people in this world. Like everyone in this world I believe we're all entangle with harmony, but never in tune with it.  

I wanted to capture the essence of Nick in a painting. Something bold. Something fun. Something displaying traits of how beautiful we all are, but also how we struggle from time to time. 

The piece I painted for Nick I call "Human Nature".


"Human Nature" - 24" x 48" Acrylic on canvas

After I presented it to him he insisted I have a beer and help him hang it. How could I refuse? Here's Nick after the celebratory hanging. 



Working on this commission piece for him was a fantastic experience. I was going through a lot during it, and I lost a lot because of my depression. However, there's always a silver lining somewhere, and I must say this was a pretty bright silver lining. 

If you're interested in an original piece by me for you then contact me, and let me work for you. :)


~3


No comments:

Post a Comment