Monday, July 29, 2013

Urban Impressions

My friend Adam Grogan commissioned me to paint him a piece for his new apartment in Albany, New York where he is moving to attend law school. He gave me a few guidelines; capture a city with yellows, blues, whites, and blacks. This is what he got. :) It's a 29" x 20" canvas painted with acrylic. I quite enjoyed making this piece, and the more I do this the faster the process goes. All and all I believe I put about 20 hours into this from concept to final product. I love watching a sketch of mine grow into something bigger and more meaningful. Adam loved the piece so much he let me take a picture of him with it. 

I realize I'm still using pretty bold colors in my paintings to create a since of friction and contrast, but sometimes it works. I think it may be time to start veering away from this theme, but I love bold colors so much. I attempted to capture the hustle and bustle of the city throughout the year by contrasting daylight and nightlight while adding a dizzying sense of ghosting layers, frenetic movement, and gritty textures. 


Urban Impressions in all it's frenetic glory. 

Adam ready for city life with new wall art for his new apartment. 

~3

No comments:

Post a Comment