Friday, November 22, 2013

Nightmares and Pumpkins

So, I just had this dream... errrr nightmare. I was laying in bed with Mairine, and the room was the same as the bedroom, except it was furbished in old dark wood from floor to ceiling. Past the room there was a long hallway, and then what felt like stairs that led upstairs. I knew the floor above us was haunted, and no one lived there. Think a bit like the attic in Beetlejuice. The first night I attempted to go upstairs for some reason. Perhaps I wanted to see what it is like or talk to "ghosts". I remember passing down the hallway, and up the stairs. Then I started feeling dizzy and fainted. I woke up the next night in bed, asleep. I could feel the presence of something there, but I wasn't entirely receptive to it. So, when I woke up to look around there was nothing. The next night as we laid in bed Mairine turned to me and said asked me if I saw the little ghost crawling under the door. I stared at the dark wooden door, but couldn't see much of anything. Then I saw a faint light, very faint. It moved in under the door, and walked along the side of the wall. As it walked the light took the shape of a cute little person about 7 centimeters in height. It walked along the floor against the wall, until it got to the corner. The whole time the light from it grew brighter and whiter and defined the shape of the little person. Then it arrived at the corner, and began crawling up the wall like a baby. When it got a little above the middle of the wall the light began to grow red. It grew an intense rich red, and the shape of the person was highlighted in purple.  The light started growing brighter and brighter until the entire room was filled with red and everything in it was outlined in purple. Think old horror films when they would change the colors of the scene to red and purple for a moment to make you uneasy. That's what happened for a split second, and then it quickly dissipated, and the ghost person was gone. Immediately after that there was a scuffle outside the door. The knob began to turn, and the door opened. Behind the door from the shadows a group of teenagers shuffled in. My immediate response was to leap out of bead, and bolt towards them with my hand cocked in order to swat them down in hopes that my hand would blow right through them. However, when I brought my hand down it made contact with them. I was taken back by this, and stood there as more and more of them shuffled in. All different kinds of teenagers of all different kinds of races and ethnicity. They didn't talk either. They had a look of dazed contentment on their faces. They flooded in and filled the room. Towards the end the differences in them were becoming more alien. Their eyes were becoming bigger than normal, and one of them even had a visible brain. It wasn't as if it were cut open, but just born without a skull on top and the brain exposed. I remember Mairine passing me, and getting lost in the hallway of these estranged children. It was as if they were all congregating in the room for a meeting. Then, just as they came into the room they started to leave. I saw Mairine come back in from the hallway, and I asked if she could believe what just happened. She told me that one of them talked to her. She said one of them asked where a person was, and she said that she would meet them later at the Goethe Apotheke, which is a chain of drugstores around here. She then told me not to worry because she wouldn't meet them and didn't have any information for them. The next night is kind of a blur. I remember their looming presence growing closer and stronger. I started to scream because I couldn't move. While I was screaming in my dream I knew I was also making noises while I was asleep. This prompted Mairine to wake me up. So, I woke up. I haven't had a nightmare in quite sometime. I find them particularly interesting. I don't really know why I'm sharing this. I know I wanted to write it down in order to help commit it to memory, but any thoughts on this would certainly be welcomed. I love hearing what other people think. 

Also, we carved a pumpkin last night! We've had this pumpkin since Halloween. We walked around all day looking for good carving pumpkins, but we couldn't find any to our liking. Most of them were too small or too lop-sided. Then we went to the main train station in order to pick up wine on a Sunday because that's the only place we could get it. The grocery store was a madhouse so we decided to ditch on the wine. However, on our way out a group of youth that had set up a Halloween display in the station walked by us with a wheelbarrow of a couple of pumpkins that they had used in the display. They asked if we wanted them. We took two, but mine had a fungus infection. So, it slowly got sicker and sicker as the days went by. It's still sitting outside on the deck as I type this. Poor thing. We had planned to carve it, and use the insides to make pumpkin spiced pancakes. However, we never seemed to get around to it. So, last night we decided that this will happen, and we went all sorts of Eddie Scissorhands on it. Mairine's roommate, Eric, even joined in on the cuttery. I'm quite pleased with the result, and because the pumpkin was so thick it stayed fresh, and we have plenty of pumpkin meat for pancakes.

Our first thought was to carve a Christmas pumpkin, but then I suggested stars and hearts. It was fast, fun, and fairly easy. Thank goodness for Eric's utility knife with a saw otherwise this would not have been possible. I also like the idea of a jack-o-lantern being carved after Halloween, but before Christmas that expresses neither. The idea for stars and hearts just popped into my head, but after stars aligning for hearts to embrace it seems particularly poignant. 

Sorry about yet another long rambling, but I wanted to get this dream out of my head. There will be more work postings soon. Thanks for reading! 

~ 3

No comments:

Post a Comment