Tuesday, November 26, 2013

A List From Germany

It's my last day here in Germany, and I'm doing some last minute packing, cleaning, thinking, and writing post cards. I had initially planned to stay five weeks here, but with the help of some spectacular friends it has been six weeks. As I sit on my last morning I started going over the list things I've done since I've been here, and I thought for my records and possibly your curiosity I'd share them with you.

So, in no particular order here is a list of things that I did during my six week stay in Darmstadt, Hessen in Germany. That's right, I'm making a list. Deal with it! 

  • Over the course of six weeks I ate only 15 non-vegan meals, and didn't really miss meat
  • I only rode in a car twice
  • I rode the tram and bus a lot, illegally, without a pass
  • went to a 20's theme party during first weekend here, and a stranger handed me a McDonald's cheeseburger. So, I ate it. 
  • Mairine and I cooked a lot of meals, all vegan
    • pizza
    • chilli
    • enchilladas
    • lots of pasta
    • burnt burgers
    • lots of oatmeal
  • Ate döner kebabs. They're amazing! 
  • Visited Dieberg where I have ancestry. It was dark and cold, and we showed up late. So, I didn't get many pictures
  • Visited Marburg, where Mairine used to live and study. Also, the Brothers Grimm did their writing there. 
    • stayed with Mairine's friend Paula
    • met Mairine's brother, Magnus, for coffee
  • Went to many bars in Darmstadt
    • Körne
    • Hercules
    • The Hobbit
    • Kessel
    • Bambus
    • Shots
  • Enjoyed the saunas at the Jugendstilbad
  • Visited the Mathildenhöhe and the Vortex Garden
  • Took over 800 pictures
  • Saw at Star Trek double feature at the Technische Universität alongside a bunch of nerds, and unintentionally got drunk
  • laid in the hammock on Mairine's balcony with Mairine a lot
  • helped move a piano
  • carved a pumpkin
  • went to a haunted house
  • participated in a St. Martin's parade with glow-in-the-dark balloons as our lanterns
  • witnessed the first snowfall of the season on the same day the Christmas market opened
  • hung a lock on the bridge near the Korne with Mairine
  • Had a birthday dinner at an amazing French restaurant with Mairine's friend and colleague, Brigitte
  • Drank a lot of beer and booze
    • Budweiser Urquell
    • Darmstädter Pilsner
    • Darmstädter Braustäub'l
    • Grohe Bock
    • Pfungstädter
    • sambuca shots!
    • Glühwein (spiced warm wine)
    • Laternchen (strong cider pint with cherry wine glass inside)
  • Mairine and I read to each other from "The Halloween Tree" and "Where the Sidewalk Ends"
  • Watched a lot of movies with Mairine
  • Met a lot of great new people
    • Leon, Sarah, Elke, Sante, Daniel, Alex, Nina, Pelle, Eric, Melanie, Vivian, Paul, Eleni, Brigitte, Paula, Fabian
  • didn't shave at all, and grew in a thick beard
  • had a fight, had some drinks, danced, laughed, cried, loved

All and all it was an amazing trip, and I'm not looking forward to leaving Mairine and this place. However, I have things I need to take care of stateside in order to be with her again. We both we have things we need to take care of. I look forward to visiting again, probably in the summer to see Mairine and everyone. 

As far as all my family and friends in the states go, I'll be seeing you soon. 

Again, sincerest apologies for more ramblings. More artwork info coming soon, just as soon as I get back to the states. 

~3

No comments:

Post a Comment