Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Star Wars Helmet Speak Series

So last year I started, and then earlier this year I finished, my Star Wars Helmet Speak series. This started out as just me fooling around with color mixing and technique with the first piece, "Vader", but after I finished it I felt the need for two more. When I settle into a project I always decide on a color scheme to use, and my handy dandy color wheel, knowledge of color theory, and general creativity always help in deciding a scheme. With the "Vader", and subsequently the other two, "Troopers" and "Fett", I used the same number of colors for each character with either one or two wild variations. After deciding on the colors I wanted to keep the essential shape of the well-known characters while attempting to distort them. Essentially I wanted people to see them differently. My original idea was to include speech bubbles with punctuation in them. However, after showing a piece without anything in the bubble to a few friends I noticed that they started filling in that speech bubble with their own words and thoughts. I've always wanted to find a way to interact with the audience, and this mechanic allowed the viewer to personalize each viewing of the pieces. Instantly I loved the idea, and left it. After finishing "Vader" I pushed through the "Troopers" and finished up with the "Fett". I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed making them.

All three pieces are acrylic on 16" x 20" canvases. These pieces are for sale. If you're interested please contact me. I am wanting to eventually have prints of these made. I was thinking either doing them individually or connected horizontally together with a background them tying them together. Thoughts?

"Vader"

"Troopers"

"Fett"


~3

No comments:

Post a Comment