Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Dropping the Bass on Conn's

For my Design History final we were given a selection of artists, and asked to pick one. Then we had to distinguish their style, and pick a local business to create a poster advertising that business in the style of the artist. 

After a quick fire round of trivia I was allowed first pick, and I went with the one and only Saul Bass. His movie poster work, and simplistic design has inspired so much art. I've always been a firm believer in the cleaner the design the better, but I also love a little texture here and there. Saul Bass was my first pick, but I felt confident I could create a piece in a style of any of the other artists, but, like Alphonse Mucha, I absolutely love his work. 

I've been in and out of Springfield for quite some time, and tasted and experienced quite a bit of what it has to offer. As of right now my favorite place to be in town is Obed & Isaac's, their beer garden, and William Van's Coffeehouse. I also love the bed & breakfast in town called The Inn @ 835. They all are owned by Conn's Hospitality Group. So, I decided to do a Saul Bass inspired poster for all that Conn's Hospitality Group has to offer Springfield, Illinois (Obed & Isaac's, William Van's Coffeehouse, Inn & 835, Widow at Windsor, and the annual Springfield Oyster & Beer Festival)

I did a sketch first. All of my projects start with sketches. I play with layout, design, and then dabble a bit with color before jumping into a digital transfer. 


rough sketch
The digital product is 11" x 7". I created all the shapes in Illustrator, and laid down a font for placing. Then I used the pen tool to work over the font in order to recreate that cut-out feel. I grabbed images from online to use as resources, and, using the pen tool, I cut them into the shapes to create the images within the blocks. After I was pleased with that I exported it all into Photoshop and applied a few textures with some burning and dodging to add some depth. 

digital work in progress

I'm very pleased with how it came out. With every project I learn a little bit more, and am able to apply that knowledge into my next project. Art is very exciting like that, and so is life. 

final product

As always there is more to come...
~3

No comments:

Post a Comment